Wednesday, 15 July 2026

Music Video For Nigel Planer and The Values

Nigel Planer and The Values have recorded a cover version of Christmas at the Airport which was originaly written and recorded by the Jesus of Cool: Nick Lowe. The new version is arranged and produced by Simon Edwards who is the former bass player of Fairground Attraction, and Red Box. Simon currently records and tours with Graham Parker, and Billy Bragg he's also worked with Talk Talk and Brian Eno. The new version of C.A.T.A features Francis Macdonald (of Teenage Fanclub on acoustic guitar and backing vocals), Paul Cuddeford (of The Spammed, and The Boomtown Rats) on electric lead guitar, Claire Kenny (who has worked with Sinead O'Connor, Edwyn Collins, Indigo Girls) on bass guitar, Tim Smart (of The Specials) on trombone, Paul Speare (who has worked with Dexys/ Costello/Paul Weller) on sax, Terry Edwards (of The Higsons, Near Jazz Experience, and Madness) on trumpet, Tim Weller (of The Divine Comedy) on drums. Angelic backing singing is provided by Ginny Clee. There is also a special guest appearnce by Morwenna Banks).
This new Harry Pye and Rowland Smith painting was made to go with the last line in the song (when he discovers a thrownaway hamburger).
Meanwhile the artist Pierre Julien has painted asleep in a closet. Here are the rest of the lyrics: Outside the taxi window On the way to catch my flight I noticed snowflakes playing In the ever failing light When you dropped me at departures I was really coming down Deep and crisp beneath And it settled on the ground It looks like Christmas, Christmas at the airport All the planes are grounded And the fog is rolling in It looks like Christmas, Christmas at the airport This year Doors are locked and bolted Let the festivities begin The terminal was seething Without much Christmas cheer So I found an empty closet And bedded down in there When I woke much later I was quite alone Checkin' was deserted Everyone had gone It looks like christmas, christmas at the airport I took a set of xrays and they came out very well It looks like Christmas, Christmas at the airport this year Now I'm doing Santa's sleigh ride on the baggage carousel It looks like Christmas, Christmas at the airport I should be at the table with all my kith and kin It looks like Christmas, Christmas at the airport this year Don't save me any turkey I found a burger in a bin (The illustration at the top of the page by Edward Ward)
Above: Artwork by Alberto Kunnapu
Above: Artwork by August Kunnapu
Above: Artwork by Dasiy de Villeneuve
Above: Artwork by Sandra Turnbull
Above: Artwork by Francis Macdonald
Above: Artwork by John Heywood-Waddington
Above: Artwork by Jonas Ranson
Above: Artwork by Sarah Doyle

No comments:

Post a Comment