Saturday 7 April 2012

Q & A with Nathaniel Potter

http://nathanielpotter.tumblr.com/
The Rebel: Do you read a lot? Do you have any favourite books?
"I read a lot because there are words everywhere. Franz Fanon's Black Skins White Faces. Catcher in the rye. J.G Ballard. A clockwork orange. In no order."
The Rebel: Do you sleep well at night?
"I am an insomniac and paint at night. I have not slept 8 eight hours since I was in my mum's womb. She said I kicked a lot."
The Rebel: Do you own any box sets (of CDs or DVDs)?
"The Wire. A lot of Manga. Everything by 9mm Parabellum Bullet."
The Rebel: What are you working on at the moment?
"Stuff for your art fair."
The Rebel: What do you hope to get out of doing the Other (Other) Art Fair?
"Nothing. I have nothing. I want nothing. I need nothing."
The Rebel: Which contemporary artists do you most admire?
"I am not interested in contemporary art. I think art is boring. It's just a brand now. Just another thing people buy to be cool."
The Rebel: Lots of people in the press have been slagging off Damien Hirst recently. Do you think it matters what people say? Do you believe the Oscar Wilde quote about the only thing worst than being talked about is NOT being talked about?
"Damien Hirst and Banksy are master salesmen, so for them it matters if they're not talked about. But I make art because it hurts if I don't."
The Rebel: Do you come from an artistic family? What do your brothers and sisters do?
"No. My mum was a support teacher. I don't have a dad. I don't have brothers and sisters. I can be alone."
The Rebel: Which countries would you most like to visit and why?
"I want to go to Japan because I am into everything there."
The Rebel: At what age were you at your most happy?
"Still waiting."
The Rebel: Can you play any musical instruments? If not what would you like to learn?
"Yes. The guitar."
The Rebel: What is your favourite museum or gallery?
"Tescos."
The Rebel: How far can you swim?
"I don't know how."
The Rebel: Do you draw every day?
"I draw blood."
The Rebel: Do you ever go to life drawing classes?
"No."
The Rebel: Why do you smash your work up?
"Because I am angry."

No comments:

Post a Comment