Tuesday 3 April 2018

Introducing Sarah Wood

135 artists are taking part in "Inside Job" which takes place on the 7th and 8th of April on Level 6 of Tate Modern. Over the next few weeks The Rebel Magazine will be chatting to some of the Tate staff who are showing their artwork. Today it's the turn of Sarah Wood
Q) Where did you grow up and what kind of education did you receive? "I grew up in West Yorkshire, first Batley and then Morley, between Leeds and Bradford. I was pushed towards science subjects at school and at home, but ended up on a Foundation course at Jacob Kramer college in Leeds. Then on to Wimbledon School of Art for BA Fine art, painting. Wimbledon had a strong painting department, making sure you gained the technical skills to develop your vision. I was missing Yorkshire and ended up painting abstract, landscape inspired paintings."
Q) How long have you been working at the Tate and what's the best show you've seen there? "I have worked at Tate Enterprises for over 25 years, part-time. This has enabled me to continue painting. There have been so many great exhibitions, I can't remember them all. However the big Cezanne show in 1996, soon after I started at Tate, was great. I found the Morandi show at Tate Modern and Prunella Clough at Tate Britain, quite inspirational. I am enjoying the All too Human show, I am very much a painter."
Q) What can you tell me about the work you're exhibiting in the Tate Modern show? "I am exhibiting a painting of a pear. My painting took a particular path when I began to sell my work on a regular basis. I began painting pears, amongst other things, when I realised I needed to paint the things around me, rather than hanker after a landscape that I was no longer part of. You can learn a lot painting the same thing and can connect and communicate using the simplest of subject matter."
Q) How can people find out more about your work - do you have a website or do Instagram? My website - sarahwood.org.uk. Instagram @swood. You can also see my work at quantumart.co.uk
Q) What's the best thing about working for the Tate? "The best thing about working at Tate are the people I work with. All my colleagues, past and present, who have worked in the shops at Tate Britain, all have impacted on me in some way. Then of course seeing all the great exhibitions at Tate, and having access to all the shows around London."
"Inside Job": An exhibition of art by Tate Staff will take place on Level 6 of the Blavatnik Building of Tate Modern, Bankside, London SE1 9TG http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this artists work before at an open studio in Peckham. They really look fabulous in the flesh, very calm and still, but encouraging lengthy contemplation. Nice to know some background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Planned wood flooring includes different layers of wood, finished with a complete of unwavering wood. door hardware supplier

    ReplyDelete