Friday 28 June 2019

Introducing Roman Lokati

Over 150 artists are taking part in The Tate Staff Biennale which will take place on the last week of August on Level 5 of Tate Modern. Over the next few weeks The Rebel Magazine will be chatting to some of the Tate staff who are showing their artwork. Today it's the turn of Roman Lokati.
Where did you grow up and what kind of education did you receive? "I was born in Rota Cadiz, Southern Spain and studied at the School of Art in the city of Cadiz. After I continued my art education at the London College of Communication, University of the Arts where I studied the Foundation Degree in Surface Design and graduated in 2006."
How long have you been working at the Tate and what's the best show you've seen there? "I have been working at the Tate for 4 years. There have been many great shows, including Juan Munoz at the Tate Modern, Anish Kapoor and Peter Doig, and perhaps the best show was the recent David Hockney exhibition as he is one of my favourite artists."
What can you tell me about the work you're exhibiting in the Tate modern show? "This is the culmination of the work I have been making over the last five years, inspired by my own and others experiences of migration to another country. Also people’s experience of travel and the current refugee crisis around the world. Three of my sculptures from the travel series: ‘Lost in the City’ were part of the exhibition entitled ‘No Turning Back: Seven Migration Moments that Changed Britain held at the Migration Museum in 2017. The 3 pieces I am exhibiting at the Tate Modern represent refugees and migrants who when observed from the side almost seem to disappear. In some way they reflect the invisibility and isolation of the refugee today, but at the same time their humanity, their contribution and their voice. With my work I want to make their stories more visible which is why these sculptures made from steel are painted in primary, bright colours."
How can people find out about your work - do you have a website or do Instagram? https://www.chrom-art.org/2014/12/15/roman-lokati-interview/ Instagram / Roman Lokati
What's the best thing about working at the Tate? "Learning more about British and International Art and the opportunity to meet many of my heroes in person. Also working with a very good team from all departments and interacting with the general public."
The Tate Staff Biennale will take place on Level 6 of the Blavatnik Building of Tate Modern, Bankside, London SE1 9TG http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern

No comments:

Post a Comment