Wednesday 28 August 2019

Introducing Fred Postles

Over 100 artists are taking part in The Tate Staff Biennale which will take place on the last week of August on Level 5 of Tate Modern. Over the next few weeks The Rebel Magazine will be chatting to some of the Tate staff who are showing their artwork. Today it's the turn of Fred Postles.
Where did you grow up and what kind of education did you receive? "I grew up in a small village on the west coast of France, around 1 hour inland from La Rochelle. I went to local schools and was educated in French up until 2008, when my family moved back to the UK, where I completed the last two years of secondary education, received my GCSEs and then went on to study the International Baccalaureate. After that I moved to London and studied Liberal Arts - a course based on the American model, where you can choose your classes from a wide range of arts, humanities and social science courses - with a major in History, focusing on British colonial history. As I write this, I'm in the final few days of my Masters in Visual Anthropology, which has taught me to make anthropologically informed films."
How long have you been working at the Tate and what's the best show you've seen there? "I've been working at Tate since the Hockney show in spring 2017. I think it would be difficult to pick a single show, however my personal highlights have included Mona Hatoum, Ilya and Emilia Kabakov, Soul of a Nation and Giacometti."
What can you tell me about the work you're exhibiting in the Tate modern show? "This year I am exhibiting a cut of what will be the final from my MA. The film is about 'home', focusing on the experience of people who have grown up between two or more societies or communities, looking into how that affects their sense of belonging and identity. It is based around a series of conversations I had with others about what this experience was like."
How can people find out about your work - do you have a website or do Instagram? People can find out about my work on Vimeo https://vimeo.com/fredpostles and my instagram is: https://www.instagram.com/fredpostles/
What's the best thing about working at the Tate? "I'm going to cheat and give two answers here. I've met some great people through working here, so that has to be mentioned. Another thing is, as a precarious worker getting by on fixed term, part time and/or zero hour contracts I would never have been able to afford to see and experience as much art in London as I have been able to do thanks to working at Tate."

No comments:

Post a Comment