Tuesday 27 August 2019

Introducing Rosie Gibbens

Over 100 artists are taking part in The Tate Staff Biennale which will take place on the last week of August on Level 5 of Tate Modern. Over the next few weeks The Rebel Magazine will be chatting to some of the Tate staff who are showing their artwork. Today it's the turn of Rosie Gibbens
Where did you grow up and what kind of education did you receive? "I grew up in a village near Brighton. Then I moved to London to study 'Performance Design and Practice' at Central Saint Martins. I also did an Ma at the Royal College of Art in 'Contemporary Art Practice' which I finished last year."
How long have you been working at Tate and what's the best show you've seen there? "I've worked at Tate for over two years. There have been many shows I liked.. it's too hard to choose one! I thought the Jesse Darling and Marguerite Humeau rooms in the Art Now section at Tate Britain were both beautiful. I love the Rebecca Horn videos currently showing in the Tanks at Tate Modern too." Also, the Early Years and Family department (which I work in) curated a performance in the 1840s room at TB called 'Men and Girls Dance' by Fevered Sleep that has stuck in my mind. It's an example of family programming which is conceptual and challenging whilst being beneficial for the participants." (above below: Concert for Anarchy by Rebecca Horn)
What can you tell me about the work you're exhibiting in the Tate Modern Show. "It is a short video called 'SeDUCKtion' which documents a failed attempt by me to attract some ducks using a speculum as a beak, washing-up gloves as webbed feet and a repetitive dance. Onlookers are confused. In the voice-over, a child reads online discussions comparing the sexiness of Daisy Duck and Minnie Mouse."
How can people find out about you and you work? My website is: www.rosiegibbens.com My instagram is: www.instagram.com/rosiegibbens What's the best thing about working at Tate? "My colleagues are lovely and working with children is often fun."
The Tate Staff Biennale will take place on Level 5 of the Blavatnik Building of Tate Modern, Bankside, London SE1 9TG

No comments:

Post a Comment