Friday 30 August 2019

Introducing Alex Day of Polydeus

Over 100 artists are taking part in The Tate Staff Biennale which will take place on the last week of August on Level 5 of Tate Modern. Over the next few weeks The Rebel Magazine will be chatting to some of the Tate staff who are showing their artwork. Today it's the turn of Alex Day of Polydeus.
Where did you grow up and what kind of education did you receive? "Born and bred in Southeast London I graduated from St Martins in 1994 with a degree in Fashion Design."
How long have you been working at Tate and what's the best show you've seen there? "I have been working at the Tate for more than twelve years I think, more than I care to remember anyway. Although the last eight years have been part time, allowing me the opportunity to work on other projects." In the last few years my friend Harry Palmer and I have created a fashion brand "Polydeus" I have enjoyed being around the Lichtenstein's recently as the work I am currently working on has a similar comic book influence."
What can you tell me about the work you're exhibiting in the Tate Modern Show? "The work I am exhibiting in the Tate modern show is titled "Cent Ans" A homage to the Jean Paul Gourds 1985 Citron advert featuring Grace Jones and the 100-year anniversary of the marque. It comprises of four T-shirts and a short video piece."
"The T-shirts and video feature a character I have been developing named "Dot "who inhabits a future devastated world. "Dot" has appeared in previous works by Polydeus and is set to continue." How can people find out about you and you work? "We have an online shop www.Polydeus.com and we can be found on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube."
What's the best thing about working at Tate? "Working at Tate has provided a good source of inspiration, but it's always about the people."
The Tate Staff Biennale will take place on Level 5 of the Blavatnik Building of Tate Modern, Bankside, London SE1 9TG

No comments:

Post a Comment