Tuesday 3 April 2018

Introducing Jono Ganz

135 artists are taking part in "Inside Job" which takes place on the 7th and 8th of April on Level 6 of Tate Modern. Over the next few weeks The Rebel Magazine will be chatting to some of the Tate staff who are showing their artwork. Today it's the turn of Jono Ganz
Q) Where did you grow up and what kind of education did you receive? I grew up in Old Coulsdon, which is as far south as you can really go and still be within Greater London. There's not much there. I went off to study English Literature at the University of Southampton which was mostly an excuse to read a load of books.
Q) How long have you been working at the Tate and what's the best show you've seen there? I've been working at Tate since just before the Blavatnik building opened back in June 2016. It's tough to choose a favourite exhibition but last year's Ilya and Emilia Kabakov show really stuck with me. Their work has such a strong sense of narrative to it that I find myself very drawn to, and I loved the immersive magical realism of the large scale installations.
Q) What can you tell me about the work you're exhibiting in the Tate Modern show? "I'm exhibiting a triptych of linocut prints illustrating three short stories by Sławomir Mrożek. He was a Polish writer and artist writing absurdist critiques of political and societal structures. The stories I've illustrated here are from a collection entitled The Elephant (Słoń), which features 42 super short satirical snapshots of people falling apart under the pressures of society. They're dark and bizarre and sometimes very funny. I started making prints of everyday scenes but playing with the perspective, skewing angles, and thought the style would be perfect for illustrating Mrożek's warped representation of humanity."
Q) How can people find out more about your work - do you have a website or do Instagram? I post illustration and design work on my site at http://jonoganz.com. I also use Instagram, mostly for relief print based work but also to post inane jokes: http://instagram.com/jonoganz.
Q) What's the best thing about working for the Tate? "The people - everyone who works here does something else, and I'm always excited to find out that someone I've worked alongside for years actually makes really interesting art as well. It feels like a super creative environment. Which is why I'm really looking forward to seeing all the work in Inside Job and so grateful to Tate for giving everyone this opportunity."
"Inside Job": An exhibition of art by Tate Staff will take place on Level 6 of the Blavatnik Building of Tate Modern, Bankside, London SE1 9TG http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern

No comments:

Post a Comment