Thursday 26 April 2018

Q & A with Jenny Lane

To celebrate the announcement that Micko Westmoreland & The Mellotronics are not only playing live on 29/04/2018 at The Talking Heads, 16-22 The Polygon, Southampton.. but also on 03/05/2018 at The Roadtrip & Workhouse, 243 Old Street, London - Each member of the band has agreed to answer a few questions for The Rebel magazine. First up is Jenny Lane...
You play bass in The Mellotronics. How long have you been playing the bass and who were your musical heroes? "I've been playing for about thirteen years now - think I've just about got the hang of it! My bass playing heroes are Carlos D (from Interpol), Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), Kim Deal (Pixies)...musical heroes in general, Oasis were the band that made me want to be in bands so I have to give Noel & Liam a nod! At the moment I'm going through a serious Neil Hannon phase (Divine Comedy, Duckworth Lewis Method). He's awesome and I would like to be him."
Your set features tracks from the Yours ETC album as well as a few new songs. Are there any of Micko’s songs you particularly admire or feel excited about playing live? "In his song, 'The Finger', the bass line was written by Horace Panter from the Specials - it's probably the most challenging thing I've ever had to learn but the most fun to play and such a nice feeling when you get to the end of it without completely cocking it up! The middle 8 in 'The Now' is one of the loveliest bits of music ever, playing it feels like riding a motorbike over the Grand Canyon in slow-mo. He's just written one called 'Imelda' which involves me & him doing increasingly unsettling, shouty vocals as the song builds, that's been quite fun to do!"
In what ways are you a bad person and what would you like to change about yourself? "I wouldn't change anything now, to be honest. I enjoy being me. I've been doing it long enough now, I think I'm quite good at it."
What is the worst film you’ve ever seen and what is the best film you’ve ever seen? "It wasn't badly made, but 'Anthropod' really, really messed me up - for weeks afterwards I'd get upset if I thought about it. Special mentions also have to go to the horror film 'Granny' but in the so-bad-its-good kind of way. I love sci-fi space horror movies, so the Alien series and have a particular fondness for Event Horizon, but my all time favourite would always be Muppet Treasure Island - me and my Dad know all the words to all the songs and periodically still break into them whenever I visit home."
What are your desert island discs? Do you have any singles or albums that you couldn’t live without? 'Turn On The Bright Lights' and 'Antics', by Interpol. 'Doolittle' by Pixies. 'Definitely Maybe' by Oasis. 'Rust In Peace' by Megadeth. 'Who Plays Wins' by Richard Stilgoe and Peter Skellern. And 'Aquarius' which was the debut album from prog band Haken and is a concept album about a doomed mermaid, and one of the most insanely beautiful works I've ever listened to.
What is your idea of beauty in nature? "When it's grown back over manmade things that have been left to decay - ruined buildings covered in creepers and weeds up through roads and railway tracks are particular favourites. Oh, and also: rock pools. I do like a good rock pool."
Micko Westmoreland and The Mellotronics photographed by Natalie Hitchcock. Left to Right: Jon, Jenny, Nick and Micko. Both photos of Jenny by Ashley Jones.
For more info: http://landlinerecords.com

No comments:

Post a Comment