Monday 2 April 2018

Introducing Peter Turner

135 artists are taking part in "Inside Job" which takes place on the 7th and 8th of April on Level 6 of Tate Modern. Over the next few weeks The Rebel Magazine will be chatting to some of the Tate staff who are showing their artwork. Today it's the turn of Peter Turner
Q) Where did you grow up and what kind of education did you receive? "I grew up in the Royal Air Force married quarters in the UK and Cyprus and Germany. As dad was in the RAF (yes I am a RAF Brat). My dad left the RAF in the mid 60s. We settled in Kentish Town London. I went to Achland Burghley School, Tufnell Park. I did technical drawing and art, I had a good art teacher Mr Harry Krishna. And my art side due to my teacher. And I got grade 2 Certificate of Secondary Education in art. Technical drawing, I got my love for drawing buildings. I did not do much art as I followed a career in the merchant navy. I got back into art in rehab as a therapy, I am a ex-alcoholic of 33 years sober. I do not have a art background, it just a hobby."
Q) How long have you been working at Tate and what’s the best show you’ve seen there? "I been working at Tate for about 14-16 years, 12 years with my firm Wilson James Security. I do not have a best show. But I like Richard Hamilton, The Orangeman, because it look out of focus on the left side and in focus on the right side. As I partially sighted on my left side. And I wrote a poem with this picture in mind about being partially sighted."
Q) What can you tell me about the work you’ve exhibiting in the Tate modern show? "My picture it the entrance to Tate Britain called Milbank Entrance. I do not have a web site but I carry my portfolio around with me, all the time."
Q) Is there any think you have to declare / do you have a favourite quote, though or joke you’d care to share? "My quote would be, do the best you can and just get on with it."
Q) What’s the best thing about working for the Tate? "The encouragement I get from my friends, Tate staff when I show my pictures and poems and short stories."
"Inside Job": An exhibition of art by Tate Staff will take place on Level 6 of the Blavatnik Building of Tate Modern, Bankside, London SE1 9TG http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern

No comments:

Post a Comment