Tuesday 13 March 2018

Introducing Charlotte Lee

135 artists are taking part in "Inside Job" which takes place on the 7th and 8th of April on Level 6 of Tate Modern. Over the next few weeks The Rebel Magazine will be chatting to some of the Tate staff who are showing their artwork. Right now all eyes are on... Charlotte Lee
Q) Where did you grow up and what kind of education did you receive? "I grew up in a village in the West Midlands, I went to the local secondary school, followed by Stratford-Upon-Avon college and finally ending up at Chelsea College of Art. I enjoyed my experience at Stratford the best, my tutors were inspirational and pushed me in every way I needed. It's the place I have the most fond memories of, it was the first time I felt a taste of what it's like to be surrounded by like-minded people."
Q) How long have you been working at the Tate and what's the best show you've seen there? "I've been working at Tate for a couple of years, I've worked in a few different departments for both Tate Gallery and Tate Enterprises. -John Baldessari, Pure Beauty in 2009 left me with no words, that show is imprinted into my memory forever. I'm struggling even now to put into words how that show made me feel, so I'll leave it as the most important exhibition I saw during my formative years." (Image below: Throwing Four Balls In The Air by John Baldessari)
Q) What can you tell me about the work you're exhibiting in the Tate Modern show? - These 2 postcards belong to an ongoing project. I don't currently know where it's headed and for now I am happy with that. I deprived myself of making work for a long time and I am simply enjoying the process of creating things again.
Q) How can people find out more about your work - do you have a website or do Instagram? @nance_black
Q) Is there anything you have to declare / do you have a favourite quote, thought or joke you'd care to share? “Is getting well ever an art, or art a way to get well?” - Robert Lowell
"Inside Job": An exhibition of art by Tate Staff will take place on Level 6 of the Blavatnik Building of Tate Modern, Bankside, London SE1 9TG http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern

No comments:

Post a Comment