Wednesday 28 March 2018

Introducing Jane Brannigan

135 artists are taking part in "Inside Job" which takes place on the 7th and 8th of April on Level 6 of Tate Modern. Over the next few weeks The Rebel Magazine will be chatting to some of the Tate staff who are showing their artwork. Today it's the turn of Jane Brannigan
Q) Where did you grow up and what kind of education did you receive? "I was born in a small town called Eaglescliffe in County Durham in the north east of England where I attended a mixed comprehensive school. In the late eighties I moved to London working in various temporary administration, secretarial/office jobs. After two years I left London and moved to Israel to live and travel for almost a year. When I lived in Israel I visited Palestine and the following years I travelled to Asia, Africa, Europe. I moved to Brighton in the early ninety's, in 1997 I studied a Foundation in Fine Art at Northbrook College. In 2000 I studied a HND Fine Art at Northbrook College in Sussex (partner University of Brighton) In 2011 I returned to Northbrook to study a BA (HON) Fine Art, I was fortunate to have the same inspiring tutors who taught me previously and encouraged me to experiment and develop my practice in a way that was true to myself. In 2013 I moved to London and found work at Tate Modern and Tate Britain as a Visitor Experience Assistant."
Q) How long have you been working at Tate and what is the best show you have seen there? "I have worked at Tate for four years this May. My favourite exhibition? difficult to say as I have seen so many stunning exhibitions at Tate. A couple of those that left a lasting impression are Yayoi Kusama, 2012 and Mona Hatoum, 2016. I am now a fan of Joan Jonas an artist I have just discovered this month at Tate Modern"
Q) What can you tell me about the work you are exhibiting at the Tate Modern show?
"Made to Measure is a beautiful traditional floral design net curtain. The all over design makes this top quality net curtain providing privacy keeping neighbours and paranoia at bay. "I am exhibiting Made to Measure a pair of net curtains at Tate as it seemed quite fitting with current concerns relating to spying, privacy, what is private and what is public? Photographs of net curtains, windows in high rise apartment blocks, have featured in my previous work where I transferred images onto found concrete roof tiles to make a sculptural piece to represent a city scape. My practice is inspired by my travels and my interest in the social dynamics within the urban landscape, I like to remove myself from familiar territory and get lost in a new environment. I use photography to record these events that enable me to create visual journals, my intention is to filter these experiences by experimenting, juxtaposing images by screen printing or transferring images onto various materials until something resonate back to me or take on a new meaning."
Q) How can people find out more about your work? Do you have a website or do Instragram? You can see my work here: Http:///janebrannigan. Tumblr.com.
Q) Is there anything you have to declare/ do you have a favourite quote, thought or joke you'd care to share? The emotion generated by a work of art, be it poetry, painting or music may be that tangible, unquestionable feeling of a broadening of the self. It is a feeling of fullness, born from a mysterious rhythm, a kind of flight toward the infinite, lived as a sharing, an exchange, whose source is our interior world. Buddhist inspiration for daily living / Daisaku Ikeda
Q) What is the best thing about working at Tate? "One of the best things about working at Tate is you get to meet a diverse range of interesting people. When you work inside of an exhibition or a gallery over a long period of time you see things you may not of seen or understood initially.. Some art work takes longer to process or understand it is a bit like travelling, you have to hang around to let the experience unfold or resonate in some way. The Starr Cinema Auditorium at Tate Modern is one of my favourite places to work and visit, the acoustics are impressive as are most of the cutting edge films, and events held there. Every day is a new day of discovery."
"Inside Job": An exhibition of art by Tate Staff will take place on Level 6 of the Blavatnik Building of Tate Modern, Bankside, London SE1 9TG http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern

No comments:

Post a Comment