Saturday 31 March 2018

Introducing Jumpei Kinoshita

135 artists are taking part in "Inside Job" which takes place on the 7th and 8th of April on Level 6 of Tate Modern. Over the next few weeks The Rebel Magazine will be chatting to some of the Tate staff who are showing their artwork. Today it's the turn of Jumpei Kinoshita
Q) Where did you grow up and what kind of education did you receive? "I am from Japan and I have lived in the UK for 16 years. I grew up in Machida city in Tokyo, which is the western edge of Tokyo, and studied sociology at university. In 2002, I moved to the UK to continue and deepen my studies at Durham University. However, my artistic direction changed radically after my graduation in 2005. I remembered that painting had been my passion since my childhood. When I was accepted to the Slade School of Fine Art, UCL in 2007, these achievements developed and focused on the passion. I finished my BA and MFA in Fine Art at the Slade in 2013."
Q) How long have you been working at the Tate and what's the best show you've seen there? I have been working at Tate for 2 years. As a full-time art handler, the best show I had installed was Cerith Wyn Evan’s neon installation at Tate Britain and Picasso 1932 at Tate Modern, which is currently on. During the Certih Wyn Evan’s installation, I drove a Genie scissor lift and installed neon tubes from a 15 metre high ceiling, while reading a complicated installation map. It was the most thrilling experience. On the other hand, I am a big fan of Picasso. I was thrilled to have the great opportunity to handle his paintings and sculptures for the Picasso exhibition. It was the best opportunity for me to study his painting techniques at work.
Q) What can you tell me about the work you're exhibiting in the Tate Modern show? "My abstract art comes from the experiment and discovery of how colours and marks connect each other and create harmony. My choices of colours and shapes are based on my surrounding area in London. I often walk around the city, take pictures of what I find fascinating and sketch them. In December 2015, when I was walking along a canal at night, one swan suddenly appeared in the dark and approached to me mysteriously. I was really amazed to see how beautiful the white swan was. In fact, I still remember the breath-taking moment clearly. For me, the act of making art is similar to keeping a diary. My artwork reflects my daily life and myself."
Q) How can people find out more about your work - do you have a website or do Instagram? My website: www.jumpei-kinoshita.com
Q)What's the best thing about working for the Tate? "Tate Gallery is the best place to meet new people, learn new skills, share techniques and develop careers for the future while supporting each other as a strong team. I am a member of the staff exhibition committee, and I have got to know a lot of staff I have not met before during the last four months’ preparation. I have also realised that there are hundreds of artists working at Tate. I believe that artists’ opportunities are everywhere at Tate."
"Inside Job": An exhibition of art by Tate Staff will take place on Level 6 of the Blavatnik Building of Tate Modern, Bankside, London SE1 9TG http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern

No comments:

Post a Comment