Monday 19 March 2018

Introducing Huguette de Chassiron

135 artists are taking part in "Inside Job" which takes place on the 7th and 8th of April on Level 6 of Tate Modern. Over the next few weeks The Rebel Magazine will be chatting to some of the Tate staff who are showing their artwork. Today it's the turn of Huguette de Chassiron
Q) Where did you grow up and what kind of education did you receive? "I am Canadian by birth but was educated in the UK - moving schools many times as my parents moved around the country. I studied briefly in Paris before starting a career in advertising here in London. First as a trainee art buyer then a stylist in stills and finally as a commercials film producer ( & Associate Director ) at JWT. I was privileged to work with some of the best talent around, especially behind the camera and in the editing suite, but it took its toll as we often worked on multiple projects at once - all in different stages of production. After a short period as head of TV Production at another agency I quit it all and began a new life running a large open air beach Taverna & Studios on an idyllic Greek island. Pure paradise (no, my name isn’t Shirley!). Thanks to Nik (my husband) - I was given free reign to design a villa and help build and decorate a 27 bed hotel. Budgets were low, timings tight - so no surprises there! I have always loved drawing but this passion has become my therapy after my husband died suddenly and unexpectedly in 2015. I have no formal training just a love of film and art."
Q) How long have you been working at the Tate and what's the best show you've seen there? "I have been working at Tate as a VA 4 years now. It is difficult to chose a ‘best’ show, especially as I am excited by the All Too Human exhibition which has only recently opened at TB and I really loved the ‘largesse’ of the Matisse exhibition and the fond memory of tiny kids drawing away below the huge canvases of the 80 yr old artist. Not long after, Boris Charmatz brought in around 90 dancers and choreographers as the "Musee de la Danse" moved into the gallery spaces over a week-end. Now this was simply amazing - it brought such energy and new excitement to the spaces as they danced and performed infront of the collection pieces. I loved working on it."
Q) What can you tell me about the work you're exhibiting in the Tate Modern show? "This drawing is from a life class I did in a small art gallery in 2015. I was struggling with the drawing and decided to add a collage effect. I wasn’t feeling good and finding the model difficult to draw but happy to get lost in the struggle. The result is not stereotypical of my sketches but it caught my mood."
Q) How can people find out more about your work - do you have a website or do Instagram? My website is: www.dechassiron.com and I have an ongoing exhibition of sketches at Alfie’s Antique Market, Church St, Marylebone NW8 in Laurance’s studio “The Creative Jewellery Co.” ( 2nd floor, near the Roof Top Cafe). My instagram is instagram @hugs23.
Q) Is there anything you have to declare / do you have a favourite quote, thought or joke you'd care to share? "Tate is special of course because of its wonderful collection and exhibitions and buildings but the heart of the place belongs to the amazing team of people who work here and the visitors. Each day brings some new discovery, whether its a piece of art or an interesting exchange with a visitor or colleague. Thankfully I am, at heart, an optimist : “The main thing is to be moved, to love, to hope. to tremble, to live" Auguste Rodin
"Inside Job": An exhibition of art by Tate Staff will take place on Level 6 of the Blavatnik Building of Tate Modern, Bankside, London SE1 9TG http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern

No comments:

Post a Comment